Aquarium Botanical FAQs
Aquarium Botanical FAQs
- Please reference our Shipping and Hassle-Free Return Policy at the bottom of the screen. All Products are packaged inside a COMPOSTABLE Ziplock bag and shipped safely to your door.
- Please refer to our botanical preparation instructions. These Botanicals are grown and harvested in pesticide-free environments and It is recommended to use 2-3 botanical pieces per 5 gallons to start, wait 5-7 days or the next water exchange and add some more.
- Aquarium botanicals, leaves and seed pods are not for human consumption, ever.
Commonly Asked Questions:
1) Will botanicals lower the pH of my water?
It entirely depends on your water chemistry. Soft water will allow the botanicals to lower your pH more than if you have medium or hard water. At Betta Botanicals HQ our tap water is Very Hard, ( 350+ppm) and we do not notice a change in water pH unless using Alder Cones or Macaranga leaves.
2) What are the white growths on my botanicals?
White growths are the colonization of biofilms and fungi in the aquarium. We call this the 'goo phase' and it is totally natural. Botanicals are fuel for the ecosystem and the populations of bacteria and fungi will naturally rise and fall.
3) I don't have Bettas, will these botanicals be okay for my fish?
100% yes. Our botanicals are for aquariums terrariums, vivariums and all natural enclosures.
4) I have goldfish and axolotls, what botanicals should I get?
We DO NOT recommend using botanicals that these fish can ingest. Botanicals like casuarina cones, small alder cones, and live oak are not suited for these animals. Large aquarium leaves like Indian almond, loquat, and jackfruit are preferred.
5) When should I replace aquarium leaves?
We recommend letting aquarium leaves and seed pods entirely break down into beneficial detritus. You can absolutely remove them after they don’t release tannins anymore, you just don’t get all potential benefits of leaving them in the aquarium.
Natural Wonders of a Botanical Aquarium
Threw some in my biotodoma tank all sank within 48 hours. I swear the cichlids blue and reds have gotten more vibrant since the leaves were added.
I am always very happy with everything I order from Beta botanicals. The fern fronds are no exception— these are a must have for my tank because I love the way they look.
Betta fish LOVES it :)
Very very cute!
Really awesome products! Well packaged!
Stellar! Lots of things!!
great quality, they put out tannins for days, now covered in a bunch of beneficial bacteria and microorganisms, the cory’s like to use them as dinner bowls and resting spots and the shrimp graze on them
easy to use and great color.
The most functional botanical, my newts hang out inside and on top of theirs all the time!
Love these pods, especially the length of time they take to break down when submerged! They also compliment many other botanicals from the same region and produce a similar color range tannin-wise.
Can’t say enough good things about this bark. It can set an entire mood within your tank in so many different ways!
These are amazing and one of my favorite botanicals to use! The leaves smell so good and the best part is that they turn the water a beautiful amber color! Its such a natural and rich look and my fish love that they curve and create little hides. I am a huge fan!
Adding tannins to my betta tank has never been easier! Blackwater botanical tea bags make it fast and fun to provide my boy with wonderful benefits.
My shrimp love these! All items were carefully packed and sent out quickly...thank you!